Granite is a very popular material for hard wearing, stylish kitchen worktops. If you are considering buying a granite worktop you can read a comprehensive guide we have written about granite kitchen worktops here. We also thought you might like to read some fun facts about granite. Please revisit this page as it will be updated as we discover more facts for you to read.
6 Facts About Granite Formation
- Granite is completely natural and was made over billions of years ago from cooled molten magma.
- Granite is the main component that makes up the earth’s continental crust.
- Granite is an igneous rock with at least 20% quartz and up to 65% alkali feldspar.
- Granites can be predominantly white, pink, or grey in colour, depending on their mineralogy.
- Granite is one of the hardest substances in the world, second only to diamonds.
- The melting point of granite is 2210 degreed F 1210 Celsius.